Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Herr Klimt

I went to Vienna for Gustav Klimt. I've researched, studied and analysed his work so much over the last 2 years that I had to see his work.
Top 3 museums to see Klimt's work; Belvedere, Leopold & Secession

(Unrelated ~ Whilst the Schmetterling Haus seemed a little short on actual Schmetterlings, it did provide us with a warm and humid sanctuary from the European winter temperatures)

The Secession houses Klimt's Beethoven Frieze. I've heard people speak about having religious experiences upon seeing famous works of art and scoffed, but the Frieze was, well, astonishing.
The Hostile Forces (Narrow Wall)
Sadly I couldn't take photos inside The Secession building and I can only find one tiny image of the frieze in situ on the web. It was incredible to see the different applications of gold, as well as the mother of pearl, pieces of glass, shells and countless other embellishments. Internet and book images just can't do this art work justice!

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing isn't it!!!! I saw it on show at Tate Liverpool and I literally stood in awe for an hour!! :)

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you in advance if you are leaving a comment! If you leave your email address, you might get a nice reply from me!