Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

miro constellation: part 1

I've been invited to participate in a group show in 2012 called 'The Art of Spain'. For weeks I had colourful shapes floating around my head but didn't know which Spanish artist I was thinking of. Finally I realised that it was the work of Joan Mirรณ. I'm particularly drawn to his constellation series and want to make 2 or 3 sets of dishes inspired by his interlocking groups of shapes. After some sketching, I started on a prototype today and I'm already so happy with the result, even at this early stage in development. 
The walls of the dishes in this reduced scale prototype are thicker than I would like, but it's been about 18 months since I last did any slab building, so that may have been a good thing! Each set will have around 10 individual pieces, be glazed in different colours (within a limited colour palette) and be fully functional as tableware.




The smallest dishes don't work well in this set as the clay is too thick for the size, but the end product will be larger and more delicate. I'm dreaming of using glazes like Chun Liao.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good, what a lot of work you have put in already! What clay are you using and what temp will you fire to?

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you in advance if you are leaving a comment! If you leave your email address, you might get a nice reply from me!