Pages

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

love / spoon

I can finally share something special with you: a Love Spoon!
It arrived in Darwin, Australia just today as a belated wedding gift to my friends Karin & Alister.
Inspired by Welsh, Irish and Swedish traditions and imagery ~ a hand for friendship, a heart for love, the crown for loyalty and a compass so they will always know the way.
Originally carved in wood by lovestruck young men as gifts for the objects of their affection, some people say that the lovespoon was presented by the carver as a gift in hopes that a relationship could be started, whilst others say that it was given as a proposal of marriage. Sadly lovespoons are rarely given for their original purpose (but how cool would it be if they were?! I'd totally want to date a guy that made a spoon for me.), they are now given at engagements, weddings and anniversaries.
[more lovespoon experiments.]
The illustrations are an extension of the Ebb Tide collection referencing the Irish Claddagh ring, which represents love, loyalty, and friendship and was traditionally given as an engagement or wedding ring. I've loved the design for years and have 2 silver versions that I wear on different fingers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you in advance if you are leaving a comment! If you leave your email address, you might get a nice reply from me!